Offshore Strike Suspended After Bilfinger Improves Offer

Offshore oil rigs in the North Sea at sundown
By
Updated Published

Unite, the UK’s largest offshore trade union, has confirmed that planned 48-hour strike action involving more than 400 Bilfinger UK employees has been put on hold after the company presented an improved proposal.

The industrial action, which had been scheduled for February 19 and 20, was expected to disrupt offshore installations operated by BP, CNR, Ineos, Ithaca, and TAQA. The dispute centered on pensions, with Bilfinger workers previously voting by 97.6% in favor of strike action in a bid to secure better pension arrangements.

Had the strike gone ahead, BP assets affected would have included Andrew, Clair, Clair Ridge, ETAP, Glen Lyon, and Mungo. CNR installations at risk were Ninian Central, Ninian South, and Tiffany. Ineos was expected to see limited impact, with only the Unity asset potentially affected.

Ithaca’s operations, including Alba FSU, Alba North, Captain FPSO, Captain WPP, FPF 1, and Safe Caledonia, will now avoid disruption. TAQA-operated assets Cormorant Alpha, Brae Alpha, and Harding have also been removed from the list of installations facing possible strike action.

Unite said the prospect of industrial action prompted Bilfinger to re-engage in talks and put forward an offer that would increase the company’s pension contributions. A consultative ballot on the revised proposal is due to close on February 23, 2026.

“The determination of our members has forced Bilfinger back to the negotiating table. Our members will now decide whether this new offer is enough to bring this dispute to a close,” said Paula Buchan, Unite industrial officer.